Getting involved in extracurricular activities is a good way for students to meet new people, develop new skills, make a contribution and have some fun.
You can display your talents, develop your leadership and organizational abilities, learn to make decisions and manage your time, and enhance your people skills - all traits that will help you in high school and beyond.
Advisor:Sheila Snyder & Gabby Homesley, 895-4115 Days & times: Meetings are typically held once per month on a Thursday morning at 7:30am Location: Marsh Library Eligibility: 1st semester 8th graders with qualifying grades - 2nd semester 7th & 8th graders with qualifying grades
* CJSF is a statewide organization that honors students for outstanding academic performance and service to the community. Applications are available in the main office and at the CJSF meetings. Community service opportunities will be scheduled throughout the year. Parent/guardian volunteers are always needed to assist with driving to service events.
Advisor(s):Ryan Willard, Julia Smith, Gina Hoffman (helper - Claudia Robbins) Days & times: Thursdays during both lunches, starting in October Location(s): 1st Lunch B-1, 2nd Lunch D-13 & D-15 Eligibility: Everyone and all faiths welcome!
* Whether you are looking for a place to meet other students, learn more about the Bible, or want to know more about God, Christian Club is for you! Our activities include Bible study, prayer, fellowship, outreach, games and fun. Everyone is welcome to join us! It's our hope that as you grow intellectually at MJHS, you will grow spiritually as well!
Advisor:Hannah Metzger Days & times: Wednesdays AFTER SCHOOL Location: S-32 Eligibility: Anyone who is interested!
* We will spend Fall semester developing acting and improvisational skills and techniques, as well as exploring the many different elements of theater production. In the Spring, we plan to put on a show, in which students will get to directly apply their knowledge and experience with these elements of production - whether on stage or behind the scenes.
Advisor:Derek Dennis Days & times: Wednesdays after school, 3-4pm
Location: P25 / Garden area Eligibility: All MJHS students
* Students work in the Gator Garden and learn about the basics of growing their own vegetables and a variety of other plants.
Location: MPR / Cafeteria Eligibility: All MJHS students
* Are you feeling stressed out or overwhelmed? With guidance and support, you'll learn how to relax and be more present in your everyday life, and develop skills for connecting better with yourself and with others. M&M Mondays are a time to discuss managing stress and navigating life’s difficulties, as well as perform guided meditations and mindfulness practices.
Advisor(s):Nick Sfarzo, Sean Stephens (possibly Austin King) Days & times: Tuesdays during 7/8th lunch Location: P-27 Eligibility: Any student with 7/8th lunch
* Music club is for beginner and intermediate musicians. Beginners can learn and mess around with various stringed instruments, and intermediate musicians can bring their instruments and have fun playing, jamming, and learning new songs.
Location: C-9 Eligibility: Mrs. Blizman's students. Recycling Club is directed at students learning vocational and life skills.
* Students will put out the recycling containers, collect cans, bottles, containers, etc, and put the recycling cans away. The collecting will take place during academic/life skills time.
* You will learn to be responsible for job site training and following directions, working, cleaning up, setting up, and pre-planning. It is also teaching them the value of money by counting the money earned, turning it in, and totaling the money made Recycling club is set up for the students to promote responsibility around the campus by taking pride in the school and environment by recycling.
Advisor:Sean Stephens Days & times: Thursday 7th/8th grade lunch Location: B-4 Eligibility: 7th and 8th grade MJHS students (due to lunch schedule)
* We play chess!
Days & times: Tuesdays at lunch Location: 6th grade D-16, 7th/8th grade E-21
- Officers meet every Monday after school until 3:30 PM in E-21 Eligibility: All MJHS students
* Club Live provides an opportunity for members to develop leadership skills, broaden their social network, and participate in projects that strengthen their community.
Advisor:Sean Stephens Days & times: Wednesday 7th/8th grade lunch Location: B-4 Eligibility: 7th and 8th grade MJHS students (due to lunch schedule)
* We read, write, and listen to all types of creative writing, while working on our own pieces of writing.
Advisor: Greg Bishop (helpers - Austen Larsen, Camille Henderson, Fausto Fuentes) Days & times: TBD during both lunches Location: Library Eligibility: All MJHS students
* eSports Club is going to be running teams that compete in the Northern California Esports League. Outside of just the team, the club will be focusing on current esports games like Rocket League and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Advisor:Liesl Jones (helper - Chelsea James) Days & times: 1st & 3rd Tuesday of each month during advisement/tutorial Location: Library Eligibility: All students
* LOL Club (Love Our Library Club) is an opportunity to make new friends who share a love of libraries and reading, do library-oriented arts and crafts, and engage in other fun activities, such as writing to pen pals, going on field trips, and participating in community service.
Advisor:Sheila Snyder (helper - Fausto Fuentes & counseling Interns) Days & times: Wednesdays at lunch Location: Library for 6th grade lunch, E-21 for 7th/8th grade lunch Eligibility: All MJHS students
* Multicultural club works to expand knowledge of diverse cultural backgrounds and celebrate individual differences through facilitating friendships and fun activities for all students.
Advisor:Hannah Metzger Days & times: Tuesdays during 7/8th lunch Location: S-32 Eligibility: All MJHS students with second lunch
* Club members will get to work with VEX robotics parts to develop their building and programming skills, and a primary focus of the club will be planning and preparing for robotics competitions.
Advisor:Billy Hague Days & times: Tuesday & Thursday 3pm to 4pm (rain or shine) Location: C-11 Eligibility: All MJHS students
* We run!
Chico Unified School District is committed to providing a working and learning environment free from discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying. Chico Unified prohibits discrimination, harassment, intimidation and bullying based on actual or perceived race or ethnicity, gender/sex (including gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and pregnancy-related medical conditions) sexual orientation, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, immigration status, physical or mental status, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age (40 and above), genetic information, political belief or affiliation (not union related), a person's association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance, or regulation in any program or activity it conducts or to which it provides significant assistance. Learn more about the Non-Discrimination Policy.